Friday, November 14, 2008

West Coast BBQ...Great BBQ in La Mesa, CA (San Diego County)

Tonight my family and I tried out a little BBQ joint called, West Coast BBQ.  I'm a real BBQ snob, so at first I was a little reluctant to go.  Although there are a few REAL BBQ restaurants in San Diego, most places idea of a good rib is when the meat falls off of the bone.  I hate that!

Ok, here's my review...  The restaurant is located in a small strip mall located at 6126 Lake Murray Blvd. in La Mesa.  As soon as I got out of the car I knew I was in for a treat.  The air was filled with the aroma of smoked meat.  I love that smell!!!  The place was packed, which was another good sign.

The menu was just basic BBQ.  Pork spare ribs, baby back, beef ribs, pulled pork and sliced beef (brisket).  The meat is slow smoked with a southern style rub and then served wet, with their homemade sauce.  The sauce was sweet with a little heat at the back of the throat.  Pretty good stuff.

I ordered the "Rib Lovers Plate."  The meat was cooked to perfection.  Nice smoke ring, tender, moist and came off the bone with a slight "tug".  The plate consisted of three large beef ribs, three nice sized spare ribs and six baby back ribs.  It also came with two side dishes.  I picked the BBQ beans (which were great) and the fries.  My wife had the beef rib plate with beans and cole slaw.  She loved her meal and really liked the slaw.  My plate was $18.00 and my wife's was $14.00. 

All in all I really liked the experience.  My only suggestion would be PUT A ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS ON THE TABLE!!!!

I Do plan on returning to this great rib joint!  Next time it will be pulled pork.

No comments: